The 72-Hour / 7-Day / 30-Day Reoccurrence Protocol What to do the night of a slip — and the 30 days after — without throwing away everything you already built
I still remember the exact feeling in my chest.
Not the cinematic version. Not the “rock bottom in a parking lot” version people expect. It was quieter than that. A handful of choices that felt almost reasonable until they weren’t. Then the shock, like the air had been sucked out of the room. Stabbing pain. Anxiety that sent electricity through my hands and tied my stomach into knots. Numbness layered on top of all of it. That sick, hollow question: How the hell did I find my way back here?
My last relapse wasn’t even chemical. It was behavioral. Criminal, actually. But whether it’s substances, a process addiction, or what a lot of us now call a reoccurrence of use, the aftermath feels the same.
Shame volume all the way up.
That nasty master voice screaming YOU’RE RUINED.
And the recovery culture around us making it worse by treating that moment like it erased every hard-won inch that came before it.
“Day one.”
“Start over.”
“You threw it all away.”
That language is not just unkind. It is clinically stupid. A slip does not wipe the skills out of your body. It does not delete the years you practiced getting back up. It does not make you the same person you were the first time you tried to stop. It gives you data — ugly, useful data — about what was still raw, what you needed and didn’t ask for, and where the old survival strategies tried to take the wheel again.
This is the philosophy.
The rest of this piece is the playbook.
Because philosophy does not help you at 1:47 a.m. when your hands are still shaking and you cannot decide whether to tell anyone, whether to sleep, whether you even get to keep the life you built.
If you are in that window right now: you have not failed recovery. You are in the highest-intent moment of it. What you do in the next 72 hours, 7 days, and 30 days matters more than the story you are telling yourself about the slip.
The rule that keeps people alive
A reoccurrence is information, not a verdict.
You do not have to feel that yet. You just have to act as if it is true long enough to get through the night.
The protocol below is not a one-size-fits-all worksheet. Individualize it. If something does not fit your life, your kids, your meds, your rural reality, your neurodivergent brain — change it. The only version that works is the one you will actually use.
Safety first: If you used in a way that could be medically dangerous (alcohol + benzos, unknown pills, chest pain, seizure, can’t stay awake, suicidal intent), this is not a “wait and journal” moment. Get emergency help. 988. ER. Someone who can stay with you. The protocol starts after you are physically safe.
THE NIGHT OF (Hour 0–12)
The goal of night one is not insight.
The goal is containment.
You are trying to do four things:
- Stop the slide.
- Get one safe human in the loop.
- Protect sleep, food, and your body.
- Keep shame from making the next decision for you.
What to do in the first hour
1. Get out of the scene.
Leave the room, the car, the app, the person, the stash energy. Change rooms if that is all you can do. Cold water on your face. Lights on. Shoes on. You are interrupting the trance, not proving a point.
2. Tell one safe person the real version.
Not the polished version. Not the “I’m fine, just tired” version. One human. Within hours, not days.
Script you can copy and send as-is:
“I slipped. I’m safe. I don’t need you to fix it. I need you to know so I don’t hide. Can you check on me tomorrow morning?”
If you cannot say “slipped,” say:
“I did something I swore I wouldn’t. I’m not okay, but I’m here. Please don’t lecture. Just don’t let me disappear.”
Who counts as safe: someone who will not explode, will not gossip to your whole family tonight, and will not use it as a weapon later. A sponsor, a recovery friend, a partner who can stay regulated, a coach, a peer. If you do not have that person, use a warm line, a meeting chat, or 988 rather than sitting in silence. Shame grows in silence. Honesty starts the repair.
3. Do not make the second decision tonight.
Do not decide your whole identity. Do not decide to leave your marriage, quit your job, tell the kids everything, or “go all the way” because you already “blew it.” Night-of thinking is not strategic thinking. Your only job is: no more harm tonight.
4. Basic body care, even if it feels stupid.
Water. Food if you can keep it down. Phone charger. Lock or remove what you can without turning the house into a crime scene. If you take prescribed medication for opioid use disorder, mental health, or sleep, do not freelance that tonight. Contact your prescriber or the on-call number in the morning. Do not “punish” yourself by skipping meds that keep you stable.
5. Write three ugly sentences.
Not a novel. Three lines:
- What happened.
- What I needed that I didn’t get or ask for.
- Who I told / who I will tell by morning.
That is enough. You just created a record so tomorrow-you doesn’t have to reconstruct the night through shame fog.
What not to do tonight
- Do not confess to every person in your life at 2 a.m.
- Do not post about it.
- Do not drive if you are still impaired.
- Do not make promises you cannot keep at sunrise.
- Do not use the slip as permission for a full run. That is the shame talking: you already ruined it, so finish the job. That voice is lying.
IF YOU HID IT
Hiding is not the same as privacy. Privacy is “I will tell the right people in the right order.” Hiding is “if nobody knows, it didn’t happen.”
Hiding almost always buys you 24 hours and costs you 24 days.
Tonight: tell one safe person anyway. The hiding is often more dangerous than the use.
Within 72 hours: decide the smallest true sentence you can live with.
Script for a partner:
“I need to tell you something I should have said sooner. I used / I slipped. I hid it because I was ashamed and I didn’t want to blow up our house in the middle of the night. I’m telling you now because hiding will make this worse. I’m safe. I’m getting back on my plan. I know this is going to land hard. I’m here for the conversation when you’re ready.”
Do not lead with a speech about how much you love them. Lead with the fact. Then stay. Disappearing after the confession is the second injury.
If they need space, give space. If they need a plan, give a plan. If they need you to leave the house for a night so they can think, that is not punishment. That is regulation.
IF THE KIDS SAW
This is the one that wrecks people. The guilt is nuclear. You will want to either over-explain or pretend nothing happened.
Kids do not need the adult plot. They need two things: safety and honesty at their level.
If they saw you impaired, fighting, crying, leaving, or being loud:
Tonight or first thing in the morning, once you are sober enough to be coherent:
“You saw something last night that was scary / confusing. That was not your fault. I made a mistake. I am getting help. You are safe. You can ask me questions.”
Then stop. Do not give details about substances, dealers, or your marriage. Do not make them your therapist. Do not promise “this will never happen again” if you cannot control that sentence. Promise what you can control: “I am going to talk to people who help me. I am going to keep you safe.”
If they saw something that made them unsafe (you driving, you passed out, you leaving them alone), that is not a “wait and see.” Get another adult in the home. That is protection, not failure.
Repair over the next week is not gifts and yes-to-everything. Repair is showing up sober, predictable, and present. The overcompensation spiral — spoiling them to buy back the night — usually makes you feel better for an hour and teaches them nothing.
THE 72-HOUR WINDOW
Goal: honesty + stabilization + one plan update.
Not a personality transplant.
Day 1
- Tell the one person (if you didn’t last night).
- Eat. Hydrate. Sleep as best you can.
- If you are on MOUD or psych meds, message your prescriber: “I had a reoccurrence. I need guidance on next doses / whether to come in.” Do not white-knuckle a medication decision out of shame.
- Cancel or postpone anything that requires you to perform “fine.”
- Go to a meeting, a peer, a coach, or a walk with a human. Online counts. Showing up messy counts.
Day 2
Do the Data, Not Drama table. Three columns. No self-flagellation.
| Leading up to it | What I needed and didn’t get | One small change this week |
|---|---|---|
| Sleep was shot for 10 days. Work win. Isolated. | Rest. To tell someone I was scared of the good thing. | Phone out of the bedroom. Text ___ every morning. |
That’s it. You are collecting data, not writing your obituary.
Day 3
Make the 7-day plan on paper. If it is only in your head, shame will edit it.
Minimum viable plan:
- Sleep window
- Who you check in with (name + time)
- Meeting / coaching / walk schedule
- What you will not decide this week (big life detonations)
- One sentence you will say when the “day one” voice starts
Sentence that works:
“I did not start over. I got information. I am using it.”
THE 7-DAY WINDOW
Goal: re-enter your life without performing recovery.
This is where people either disappear or overcorrect into Perfect Sober Person theater. Both are sabotage.
Do this:
- Keep the check-ins even when you feel “better.” Day 4 and 5 are when people ghost because the panic dropped and the shame is still running the show.
- Repair without the performance. If someone was affected:
“I slipped. I’m sorry. Here’s what I’m doing. I’m still here.”
No disappearing for a week. No 20-minute apology speech that makes them have to take care of your guilt.
- Reclaim both numbers: consecutive days and total days of effort. Your recovery history is longer than this streak.
- Update the safety map. What early signs did you ignore? Success? Boredom? A family weekend? A quiet Tuesday? Put the actual warning sign on the plan, not a generic “avoid triggers.”
Do not do this:
- Book a 30-day residential stay out of panic if what you actually need is sleep, meds, and one honest conversation. Sometimes a higher level of care is right. Panic-booking to punish yourself is not the same as assessing need.
- Tell the entire extended family because you want to “be honest.” Honesty without a container is just more chaos.
- Use work as the new drug so you don’t have to feel the week.
Rural / Northwoods note: if the nearest meeting is an hour away and you have kids, online plus one human text thread is a real plan. Do not fail the week because the plan required a life you do not have.
THE 30-DAY WINDOW
Goal: turn the slip into an updated operating system.
By day 30 you should be able to answer, in plain language:
- What was happening in the two weeks before?
- What need was the behavior trying to meet?
- What is different in my plan now?
- Who knows, and how do they check on me?
- What does “getting better” look like this month that is not a perfect streak?
This is also when the “I threw it all away” story either dies or becomes your new identity. Kill it on purpose.
Write this down and put it where you will see it:
A slip is a step back. It is not the end of the journey.
The skills are still in your body. The insight is still in your mind. The capacity to choose differently is still available. You are almost always farther along than the shame wants you to believe.
If process addictions tried to take the wheel after the chemical slip — phone, food, work, a chaotic text — that is part of the same data set. Treat it as the next layer, not proof you are fake.
Scripts you can steal
To a meeting / group:
“I had a reoccurrence. I’m here. I don’t need a lecture. I need to not be alone with it.”
To your prescriber:
“I used [substance / I had a behavioral slip] on [date]. I’m not looking for punishment. I need a safe plan for medications and follow-up this week.”
To yourself at 3 a.m. on day 6:
“This is shame, not truth. I already told someone. I already ate. I already have a plan for tomorrow. I do not have to solve my whole life before sunrise.”
To a family member who wants a guarantee:
“I can’t promise I will never struggle again. I can promise I will not hide this time, and I will keep using the plan we just wrote.”
The thing I need you to hear
You did not suddenly forget how to be sober.
You did not become the person you were on day one.
You hit a patch of ice on a trail you have already walked for miles.
The work now is not burning the map.
The work is getting back on the trail with better information, more honesty, and less self-loathing than last time.
Progress is progress. Even the messy kind. Especially the messy kind.
If you are in the 72-hour window and you need a human who will not treat you like a disappointment, that is the work I do. Not because you failed. Because this is the moment that decides whether the slip becomes a chapter or a new identity.
You are still in this.
— Belle

No comments:
Post a Comment