Thursday, August 8, 2024

My Journey, My Voice: Sharing My Truth About Addiction and Recovery


 

My Journey, My Voice: Sharing My Truth About Addiction and Recovery

I'm a wife, a mom, a sister, a daughter, a coworker, a friend, an auntie – and I'm in recovery. I'm also a substance abuse counselor, which means I've seen the journey of addiction and recovery from both sides. My blog is my way of sharing my unique perspective, my struggles, and my triumphs. It's about being real, breaking down stigma, and connecting with others who understand this challenging, rewarding path.

Recovery isn't easy. Some days, it feels like an uphill battle. I've been the "loser," the one who felt uncool, unworthy. Self-doubt and abandonment issues are still things I work to overcome. But here's the important part: I'm not perfect, and I never will be. But I will never stop growing, either.

Every time I hit publish on a blog post, it's a victory. It's me saying, "I'm not ashamed of my story." It's me using my voice to help others feel less alone. And it's my way of practicing self-care, of expressing myself creatively.

I want to take this further. I want to share my message with more people, through more platforms. I want to be a source of inspiration and connection for others in recovery. I believe in the power of community, of finding your tribe. That's why I'm reaching out, asking you to read my blog, to share your thoughts, to tell me what you'd like to hear more about.

Recovery isn't one-size-fits-all. I'm all for whatever works for you – 12-step, SMART Recovery, harm reduction. I'm for people, for connection, for supporting each other. If you're in this fight, know you're not alone. And if you're considering entering the field of addiction work, know there's room for you. We need more compassionate, driven people like you.

This is my journey, but I don't walk it alone. Let's connect, let's grow together. Read my blog, follow me on social media, reach out. Let's break down the walls of stigma, one story at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I love your courage. I too am an addict/ alcoholic. I'm going to college now to become a Christian counselor. I want to volunteer my services through the church once I graduate. That's my goal. Love your blogs. Keep them coming girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Look at you go! Amazing! Keep up the work!!

      Delete

Recovery Month: The Non-BS Guide

Recovery Month: The Non-BS Guide September is Recovery Month. Yay, party hats and balloons, right? Except it's not all rainbows and unic...

More to Read....