Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Navigating Substance Use and Recovery in a Culture of Acceptance


 

Navigating Substance Use and Recovery in a Culture of Acceptance

I'll never forget the moment it hit me – I wasn't just partying, I was hiding. Behind a haze of smoke and a haze of booze, I was running from my own life. The substances that once felt like an escape had become a prison. But in a world that cheers on a good time and shrugs off a bad habit, how do you know when you've crossed the line?

We live in a time where Craft beer festivals and cannabis dispensaries dot our neighborhoods. Where "wine mom" is a badge of honor and "microdosing" is the latest productivity hack. It's easy to get caught up in the wave of acceptance and tell ourselves, "I'm fine. Everyone's doing it."

But there's a subtle, insidious shift that happens when substance use stops being social and starts being survival. When the drinks pour a little too easily, when the joint gets lit a little too often, when the pills become more than just an occasional escape. That's when the laughter fades and the loneliness creeps in.

For me, hitting rock bottom looked like a string of failed relationships, a job I could barely hold onto, and a deep, gnawing anxiety that followed me sober. It looked like mornings where I couldn't remember how I got home, and nights where I couldn't imagine getting through without a drink, hit or pill.

Getting sober wasn't a lightbulb moment, it was a slow, painful realization that I couldn't keep living like this. It meant swallowing a thick swallow of pride and admitting I needed help. It meant therapy, support groups, and a whole lot of soul-searching. But I know that's not the only path. For some, it's about reducing harm – cutting down, finding safer ways to use, getting support without quitting cold turkey. That's valid too.

Recovery isn't a straight line. It's a messy, winding road with plenty of potholes and U-turns. There are days where sobriety feels like a badge of honor, and days where it feels like a cruel punishment. But the alternative – going back to that dark, lonely place – that's unthinkable.

Here's what I've learned along the way:

The most surprising thing about getting sober? It's not boring. It's not missing out. It's the opposite, actually. It's seeing the world in vivid color, feeling feelings fully, experiencing life without a filter.

Substance use disorders are not a moral failing. It's time we start treating them that way. It's time we offer compassion, not judgment, to those struggling. Because the truth is, more of us are struggling than you might think. And with the right support, all of us can recover and improve our lives, happiness and future.

If you're struggling with substance use, here are some resources that helped me:

And hey, if you're sober and want to grab a coffee, juice, or Lotus energy drink – I'm buying. ☕️-Belle-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recovery Month: The Non-BS Guide

Recovery Month: The Non-BS Guide September is Recovery Month. Yay, party hats and balloons, right? Except it's not all rainbows and unic...

More to Read....