Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Asking for help... What's that?


The 1000 Pound Phone: Why Asking for Help in Recovery Feels Like Lifting Weights


I'll never forget the first time I realized I needed help. I was sitting on my couch, staring blankly at my phone as if it were an ancient artifact I couldn't decipher. I had the overwhelming urge to call someone, anyone, and just...talk. But my fingers felt heavy, like they were stuck to my leg with superglue. The phone, that inanimate object, had somehow transformed into a 1000 pound weight I couldn't budge.

This, my friends, is the paradox of asking for help in recovery. We know we need it, we desperately crave connection and support, yet our brains (and sometimes our hands) seem to conspire against us. Why does something so vital feel so impossible?


Pride, Shame, and the Company They Keep

Recovery has a way of stripping us bare, exposing all our deepest fears and insecurities. It's like standing in the town square, naked and pointing at our flaws for everyone to see. Pride, that protective armor we've honed for years, feels impossible to shed. We think, "I should be able to handle this on my own. I'm strong, I'm capable." But the truth is, strength lies in acknowledging our limitations, not denying them.

Then there's shame, the sneaky little companion of addiction. It whispers, "You're broken, unworthy, a burden." It convinces us that reaching out is a sign of weakness, that others will judge us or abandon ship. But here's the thing: shame cannot survive in the light of honesty and compassion. Every time we push through fear and ask for help, we strangle shame just a little bit more.



The Heavy Chains of Low Self-Worth

Low self-worth is like wearing a pair of cement shoes. It keeps us anchored in misery, convinced we don't deserve better. It tells us our struggles are unique, that no one could possibly understand. But the beauty of recovery is its universality. Every person you meet has a battle, a scar, a story of rising from the ashes. We are not alone, no matter how much our brains protest.



The Freedom of Brokenness

Asking for help is an act of defiance. It's a raised middle finger to pride, shame, and every negative voice that's held you back. It's a declaration: "I am worth it. My struggles matter. I deserve to heal and thrive." And let me tell you, there is no more powerful feeling than the moment those weights start to lift.



A Life Worth Fighting For

Recovery is hard, period. It's messy and uncomfortable and downright painful at times. But it's also the most rewarding, soul-shaking, awe-inspiring journey you'll ever embark on. Every time you pick up that 1000 pound phone, every time you whisper "I need help," you're not just surviving – you're claiming your right to a life that's meaningful, joyful, and yours.



So, if you're sitting there with that phone, feeling the weight of a thousand lifetimes, just know this: you are not alone. Your pain is valid, your fear is understandable, but your potential is endless. You were put on this earth for a reason, to experience all the beauty and heartache and ridiculousness that life has to offer. Don't let addiction, or pride, or shame steal that from you.

Lift the phone. Make the call. Send the text. Show up to that meeting, even when it feels like the hardest thing you've ever done. Because on the other side of that fear is a community waiting with open arms, a well of strength you never knew you had, and a life that's just begging to be lived.



You got this, warrior. Now go pick up that phone.-Belle-

1 comment:

  1. Wow! thank you for this.This has always been a huge thorn in my side,asking anyone for anything. The longer I'm on this journey of recovery, the less hesitant I get,to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete

Recovery Month: The Non-BS Guide

Recovery Month: The Non-BS Guide September is Recovery Month. Yay, party hats and balloons, right? Except it's not all rainbows and unic...

More to Read....